Install Icecast on CentOS 4
icecast is free server software for streaming multimedia.
The install is relatively simple, just follow these steps.
1. Install the SRPM from xiph.org
2. Install the dependencies needed to compile it.
yum install libvorbis-devel speex-devel libtheora-devel libxslt-devel curl-devel
3. Compile the SRPM
rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/icecast.spec
4. Install the RPM.
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/icecast-2.3.1-0.i386.rpm
5. Edit the conf file (/etc/icecast.xml) and change the admin, source, and relay passwords. You will also need to edit the log file entries to point to /var/log/icecast and change the daemon to run as a non-root user (icecast)
6. Add the icecast user and create the log directory.
useradd icecast mkdir /var/log/icecast chown icecast:icecast /var/log/icecast/
7. Start the server.
icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml -b
You can also add this command to /etc/rc.local to have it start on boot.
8. Open the Icecast port in the firewall, by default this will be port 8000.
9. Test. You should be able to connect using an icecast client like oddcast for Winamp, ezstream, ices, etc.